- Assistant Professor, Department of Computer Science and Engineering, NIT Silchar, India – 2nd July 2018 – till date [Current Position]
- Visiting Assistant Professor, Department of CSE, IIIT Senapati, Manipur – 2nd May 2016 – 29th June 2018
- Lecturer, Dept of Computer Science, St. Anthony’s College, Shillong. 10th Aug 1998 – 18th Nov 2007
- Guest Lecturer, Dept of CSE, NERIST, Itanagar. 21st Aug 1997 – 6th May 1998.
- Post Doctoral Fellow Dept of Computer Science, University of Houston, USA. 2015 – 2016
- Post Doctoral Research Fellow, Dept of Computer Science, School of Computing, National University of Singapore (NUS), Singapore. 2013 – 2014
- Senior Staff Scientist/Senior Technical Officer, CDAC Mumbai (Formerly NCST). 20th Nov 2007 – 31st Aug 2013
ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS (FULL DETAILS )
- B. Tech.(Computer Science and Engineering) (NERIST)
- Ph.D. (Engg) (Jadavpur)
- PostDoc (NUS, Singapore), PostDoc(UH, USA)
DBLP: CLICK HERE
Google Scholar: CLICK HERE
Linkedin: CLICK HERE
SHORT BIO SKETCH
Dr. Thoudam Doren Singh was born in the state of Manipur in the northeast part of India. He attended Toubul High School for his early schooling. Currently, he is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Computer Science and Engineering at NIT Silchar, India. He was a research visitor at Universität des Saarlandes, Saarbrücken, Germany as part of SPARC project. He worked as Visiting Assistant Professor, Department of Computer Science and Engineering, IIIT Senapati, Manipur from May 2016 – June 2018. Prior to this, he was a Post Doctoral Researcher, Department of Computer Science at University of Houston, TX, USA from March 2015 to March 2016 after a stint as Post Doctoral Research Fellow at Department of Computer Science, School of Computing, National University of Singapore, Singapore from September 2013 to July 2014. He also served as Senior Staff Scientist later re-designated as Senior Technical Officer at Centre for Development of Advanced Computing (CDAC) – formerly known as NCST, Mumbai, India from November 2007 to August 2013 after working as Lecturer of Dept of Computer Science, St. Anthonys College, Shillong, India from August 1998 to November 2007. His first service was Guest Lecturer of Dept of CSE, NERIST, Itanagar, India from August 1997 to May 1998.
AREA OF INTEREST AND SPECIALISATION (INCLUDING RESEARCH AREA)
- Human Language Technology
- Applied Machine Learning
- Big Data
- Cloud Security
- Social Media Analytics
CALL FOR PAPERS:
- Paper Submission Deadline: October 15, 2021
- Paper Acceptance Notification: November 15, 2021
- Paper Camera Ready Paper Submission: December 5, 2021
- Doctoral Consortium Deadline: October 15, 2021
- Paper Acceptance Notification (Doctoral Consortium): November 15, 2021
- Workshop Proposal Submission: September 15, 2021
- Workshop Acceptance Notification: September 30, 2021
- Tutorial Proposal Submission: October 10, 2021
- Tutorial Acceptance Notificatio: October 30, 2021
- Conference: December 16-19, 2021
- Workshop paper submission deadline: 30 June 2021
- Workshop paper acceptance notification: 31 July 2021
- Workshop paper camera-ready versions: 31 August 2021
- Workshop video presentations due: 31 August 2021
- Workshop camera-ready proceedings ready: 5 September 2021
- Workshops: 7 September 2021
Publication: ACL Anthology
Journal Guest Editor(s):
Submission deadline: extended to December 31, 2020
First notification to authors: February 28, 2021
Final manuscript due: April 15, 2021
Tentative publication date: Autumn 2021
Publication: Multimedia Tools and Applications, Springer
2. Big Data: Exascale Computation and Beyond -Special Issue [ESCI Indexed]
- Thoudam Doren Singh, Abdullah Faiz Ur Rahman Khilji, Divyansha, Apoorva Vikram Singh, Surmila Thokchom, Sivaji Bandyopadhyay, Predictive Approaches for the UNIX Command Line: Curating and Exploiting Domain Knowledge in Semantics Deficit Data, Multimed Tools Appl (2020). https://doi.org/10.1007/s11042-020-10109-y [SCIE Indexed]
- Sabuzima Nayak, Ripon Patgiri, Thoudam Doren Singh, Big computing: Where are we heading?, EAI Endorsed Transactions on Scalable Information Systems, 2020, Page 1-10, doi:10.4108/eai.13-7-2018.163972 [ESCI Indexed]
- Aiusha Vellintihun Hujon, Thoudam Doren Singh, Existing English to Khasi Translated Documents for Parallel Corpora Development : A Survey. International Journal on Natural Language Computing (IJNLC), Vol 7, Issue 5, Pages 81-91, 2018
- Thoudam Doren Singh, Building Parallel Corpora for SMT System: A Case Study of English-Manipuri. International Journal of Computer Applications 52(14):47-51, ISSN 0975-8887, August 2012. Published by Foundation of Computer Science, New York, USA, Pages 47-51, 2012.
- Thoudam Doren Singh and Sivaji Bandyopadhyay, Bidirectional Statistical Machine Translation of Manipuri English Language Pair using Morpho-Syntactic and Dependency Relations, International Journal of Translation, (Vol. 23, No. 1, Jan-Jun 2011), ISSN 0970-9819, 2011.
- Thoudam Doren Singh and Sivaji Bandyopadhyay, Semi Automatic Parallel Corpora Extraction from Comparable News Corpora, In the International Journal of POLIBITS, Issue 41 (January – June 2010), ISSN 1870-9044, Pages 11-17, 2010.
- Thoudam Doren Singh and Sivaji Bandyopadhyay, Manipuri-English Example Based Machine Translation System, International Journal of Computational Linguistics and Applications (IJCLA) (ed.) A. Gelbukh, ISSN 0976-0962, Pages 147-158, 2010.
- Loitongbam Sanayai Meetei, Thoudam Doren Singh, Sivaji Bandyopadhyay, Mihaela Vela and Josef van Genabith, English to Manipuri and Mizo Post-Editing Effort and its Impact on Low Resource Machine Translation, ICON 2020.
- Salam Michael Singh and Thoudam Doren Singh. Unsupervised Neural Machine Translation for English and Manipuri, LoResMT 2020, AACL-IJCNLP -2020.
- Thoudam Doren Singh, Divyansha, Apoorva Vikram Singh, Anubhav Sachan and Abdullah Faiz Ur Rahman Khilji, Debunking Fake News by Leveraging Speaker Credibility and BERT Based Models, WI-IAT 2020.
- Salam Michael Singh, Thoudam Doren Singh and Sivaji Bandyopadhyay, The NITS-CNLP System for the Unsupervised MT Task at WMT 2020, WMT -2020 in Conjuction with EMNLP -2020
- Subhra Jyoti Baroi, Nivedita Singh, Ringki Das and Thoudam Doren Singh, NITS-Hinglish-SentiMix at SemEval-2020 Task 9: Sentiment Analysis ForCode-Mixed Social Media Text Using an Ensemble Model, 14th SemEval, COLING, Dec. 2020.
- Alok Singh, Thoudam Doren Singh and Sivaji Bandyopadhyay, NITS-VC System for VATEX Video Captioning Challenge 2020, (LVVU 2020) – In conjunction with CVPR 2020
- Thoudam Doren Singh, Divyansha, Apoorva Vikram Singh, Abdullah Faiz Ur Rahman Khilji, A Hybrid Classification Approach using Topic Modeling and Graph Convolution Networks, 2020 International Conference on Computational Performance Evaluation (ComPE), Pages 285-289, IEEE
- Thoudam Doren Singh, Aiusha Vellintihun Hujon, Low Resource and Domain Specific English to Khasi SMT and NMT Systems, 2020 International Conference on Computational Performance Evaluation (ComPE), Pages 733-737, IEEE
- Loitongbam Sanayai Meetei, Thoudam Doren Singh and Sivaji Bandyopadhyay, WAT2019: English-Hindi Translation on Hindi Visual Genome Dataset, Proceedings of the 6th Workshop on Asian Translation, pages 181–188, Hong Kong, China, November 4, 2019.
- Mirinso Shadang, Navanath Saharia, Thoudam Doren Singh, Towards the study of morphological processing of the Tangkhul language, In proceeding of Regional International Conference on Natural Language Processing (regICON) 2017, 3rd and 4th Novmber 2017, Imphal, India
- Thoudam Doren Singh, An Empirical Study of Diversity of Word Alignment and its Symmetrization Techniques for System Combination, In proceedings of the Twelfth International Conference on Natural Language Processing (ICON-2015), IIITM-Kerala, Trivandrum, India, December 11-14, 2015.
- Thoudam Doren Singh, Taste of Two Different Flavours: Which Manipuri Script works better for English-Manipuri Language pair SMT Systems? In proceedings of the Seventh Workshop on Syntax, Semantics and Structure in Statistical Translation (SSST-7), NAACL HLT 2013 / SIGMT / SIGLEX Workshop 13 June 2013, Atlanta, GA, USA, Pages 11-18
- Thoudam Doren Singh , Bidirectional Bengali Script and Meetei Mayek Transliteration of Web Based Manipuri News Corpus, In the Proceedings of the 3rd Workshop on South and Southeast Asian Natural Language Processing (SANLP) of COLING 2012, IIT Bombay, Mumbai, India, pages 181-189, 8th December, 2012
- Thoudam Doren Singh, Addressing some Issues of Data Sparsity towards Improving English-Manipuri SMT using Morphological Information, In proceedings of The Tenth Biennial Conference of the Association for Machine Translation in the America (AMTA 2012), San Diego, USA, Pages 46-54, 1st November, 2012.
- Thoudam Doren Singh and Sivaji Bandyopadhyay, Integration of Reduplicated Multiword Expressions and Named Entities in a Phrase Based Statistical Machine Translation System, In proceedings of International Joint Conference on Natural Language Processing (IJCNLP), Chiang Mai, Thailand, Pages 1304-1312, November 2011.
- Thoudam Doren Singh and Sivaji Bandyopadhyay, Web Based Manipuri Corpus for Multiword NER and Reduplicated MWEs Identification using SVM, In Proceeding of the 1st Workshop on South and Southeast Asian Natural Language Processing (WSSANLP) of 23rd International Conference on Computational Linguistics (COLING), Beijing, Pages 35-42, August 2010.
- Thoudam Doren Singh and Sivaji Bandyopadhyay, Manipuri-English Bidirectional Statistical Machine Translation Systems using Morphology and Dependency Relations, In Proceeding of Syntax and Structure in Statistical Translation (SSST-4) of 23rd International Conference on Computational Linguistics (COLING), SIGMT / SIGLEX Workshop, Beijing, Pages 75-83, August 2010.
- Thoudam Doren Singh and Sivaji Bandyopadhyay, Statistical Machine Translation of English-Manipuri using Morpho-Syntactic and Semantic Information, In the proceedings of Ninth Conference of the Association for Machine Translation in Americas (AMTA 2010), Denver, Colorado, USA, Pages 333-340, 2010. [SCOPUS]
- Thoudam Doren Singh, Yengkhom Ranjan Singh and Sivaji Bandyopadhyay, Manipuri-English Semi Automatic Parallel Corpora Extraction from Web, In proceedings of 23rd International Conference on the Computer Processing of Oriental Languages (ICCPOL 2010) – New Generation in Asian Information Processing , San Francisco Bay, CA, USA, Pages 45-48, 2010.
- Thoudam Doren Singh, Kishorjit Nongmeikapam, Asif Ekbal, Sivaji Bandyopadhyay, Named Entity Recognition for Manipuri using Support Vector Machine, In proceedings of 23rd Pacific Asia Conference on Language, Information and Computation (PACLIC 23), Hong Kong, Pages 811-818, 2009. [SCOPUS]
- Thoudam Doren Singh, Asif Ekbal, Sivaji Bandyopadhyay, Manipuri POS Tagging Using CRF and SVM: A Language Independent Approach, In proceeding of 6th International conference on Natural Language Processing (ICON -2008), Pune, India, Pages 240-245, 2008.
- Thoudam Doren Singh and Sivaji Bandyopadhyay, Manipuri Morphological Analyzer, Platinum Jubilee International Conference of the LSI, Hyderabad, 6-8 December 2005.
- Thoudam Doren Singh and Sivaji Bandyopadhyay, Word Class and Sentence Type Identification in Manipuri Morphological Analyzer, In Proceedings of MSPIL, IIT Bombay, Pages 11-17, 2006.
- Loitongbam Sanayai Meetei, Ringki Das, Thoudam Doren Singh and Sivaji Bandyopadhyay, Automatic Extraction of Locations from News Articles using Domain Knowledge, International Conference On Big Data, Machine Learning and Applications (BigDML 2019), National Institute of Technology Silchar, December 16-19, 2019. DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-62625-9_4 CCIS, SPRINGER [SCOPUS]
- Meetei L.S., Singh T.D., Bandyopadhyay S. (2019) Extraction and Identification of Manipuri and Mizo Texts from Scene and Document Images. In: Deka B., Maji P., Mitra S., Bhattacharyya D., Bora P., Pal S. (eds) Pattern Recognition and Machine Intelligence. PReMI 2019. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol 11941. Springer, Cham, https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-34869-4_44 [SCOPUS]
- Singh T.D., Solorio T. (2018) Towards Translating Mixed-Code Comments from Social Media. In: Gelbukh A. (eds) Computational Linguistics and Intelligent Text Processing. CICLing 2017. Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol 10762. Springer, Cham, https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-77116-8_34 [SCOPUS]
Awards and Recognition:
- State Government Merit Scholarship from Govt. of Manipur
- NEC scholarship from Govt. of India
- Asian-Nagao Fund Award for IJCNLP 2008 [Award number: D1010]
- Complimentary main conference registration and two-year AMTA membership [AMTA-SRW 2010]
- Research Fellowship NUS and CSIDM Phase 2: [R-252-100-372-490]
- Loitongbam Sanayai Meetei. (PhD – Ongoing)
- Ringki Das (PhD – Ongoing)
- Salam Michael Singh (PhD – Ongoing)
- Alok Singh (PhD – Ongoing)
- Anwesha Das (MTech -Completed in 2020)
- Debartha Saha (MTech -Ongoing)
- Divyansha (Undergrad)
- Abdullah Faiz Ur Rahman Khilji (Undergrad)
- Apoorva Vikram Singh (Undergrad)
More to be updated…
- TEQIP-III & NMHS Workshop on Data Science: Industry and Research Perspective, NIT Meghalaya, 29 Oct 2018 – 02 Nov 2018.
- TEQIP-III Workshop on Deep Learning and Applications, NIT Manipur, 12-16 March, 2018
- AICTE sponsored FDP on Machine Learning and Internet of Things (IoT), Tezpur University, 19-23 Feb, 2018
- TEQIP-III Workshop on NLP, IIIT Manipur, 13-15 Oct 2017.
Workshop/Conference Organised/Session Chair/Session Coordinator:
- Organizer, SPARC International Symposium on Mahatma Gandhi and Linguistic Diversity, Sep 23, 2020 [Online Mode]
- Technical Session Chair, ComPE-2020, IEEE Conference
- Session Coordinator, Session -5, MIND 2020
- Poster and Workshop Chair, 25th International Symposium on Frontiers of Research in Speech and Music (FRSM 2020), 8-9 October 2020, NIT Silchar, India.
- Program Chair, International Conference On Big Data, Machine Learning and Applications (BigDML 2019), National Institute of Technology Silchar, December 16-19, 2019.
- Convenor, Workshop on “Machine Learning using Python”, TEQIP-III, IIIT Manipur, 4th Dec 2017 – 10th Dec 2017.
- Organising Committee and PC Chair, regICON 2017, 3rd Nov 2017 – 4th Nov 2017, IIIT Senapati, Manipur.
- Convenor, Workshop on Web Application Development (4-23) July 2016, IIIT Senapati, Manipur.
List of Administrative Works:
- DUPC Member, NIT Silchar, 2019 till date
- Faculty-Lab-in-Charge : CC07, 2019 till date
- Department NBA Committee member 2020
- Third Party Proctor, NPIU, 2019
- Convener, Technical Committee of Center for Natural Language Processing, NITS, 2019
- Committee Member of ARC, NIT Silchar, 2018
- Faculty-in-Charge – Computer Centre, IIIT Senapati, Manipur. [5 Feb 2017 – 29 June 2018]
- Presiding Officer, GATE-JAM 2017, IIIT Senapati, Manipur Centre
- Test Centre Administrator (TCA), TCS Examinations, IIIT Senapati, Manipur. [25 July 2015 – 19 May 2017]
- Past Member of Board of Undergraduate Studies (BUGS) of CSE, IT, ECE, North Eastern Hill University (NEHU), Shillong
- Past Member of Board of Undergraduate Studies (BUGS) of BCA, Mizoram University, Aizawl
- Senior Team Member of Statistical Machine Translation (SMT) Group of the English to Indian Language Machine Translation (EILMT) Consortium funded by Department of Information Technology (DIT), Govt. of India at Center for Development of Advanced Computing (CDAC), Mumbai. (November 2007-May 2009)
- Senior Team Member of State Service Delivery Gateway (SSDG) project funded by Department of Information Technology (DIT), Government of India of National E-Governance Plan (NeGP) at CDAC, Mumbai. (June 2009- 31st August 2013)
|Sl No||Name of Project||Sponsored By||Duration||Organization||Amount||Role||Status|
|1||Multimodal Machine Translation – Convergence of Multiple Modes of Input||SPARC, MHRD, Govt of India||March, 2019-Feb,2021||NIT Silchar, India and Universität des Saarlandes, Germany||49.58 lacs||Co-PI||Ongoing|
|Sl No||Name of Course/Program
|1||Machine Translation||SPARC, MHRD, Govt of India||2nd December, 2019-13th Dec, 2019||NIT Silchar, India and Universität des Saarlandes, Germany||Organizer||Completed|
Shared Task Participation:
- The 6th Workshop on Asian Translation (WAT-2019), Multimodal : English –> Hindi of Indic Translation Task, 4th Nov 2019, Hong Kong, China [Result] Name of Team [NITSNLP]
- Unsupervised MT and Very Low Resource Supervised MT of WMT-2020 in conjunction with EMNLP-2020: Nov 19-20, 2020, Online [Result] Name of the Team NITS-CNLP
- VATEX Video Captioning Challenge in conjunction with CPVR-2020, Workshop on Language & Vision with applications to Video Understanding (LVVU2020)
- SEMEVAL-2020, Task 9: Sentiment Analysis for Code-Mixed Social Media Text, Name of Team [rns2020]
SUBJECTS TAUGHT (INCLUDING SUBJECTS CURRENTLY TEACHING)
- Introduction to Computer Programming in C [CS-1101(BTech)]
- Unix Operating System
- Data Structures
- Computer Graphics
- Software Engineering
- Computer Network
- Computer Architecture
- Programming in Java
- Machine Learning
- Theory of Computation [CS-1402 (B.Tech)]
- System Programming
- Machine Translation [CS-1483, CS-5149]
- Compiler Design [CS-1305 (B.Tech.)]
- Text Mining and Analytics [CS-1447 (B.Tech., M.Tech., PhD)]
- Natural Language Processing [CS-1540 (PhD) and CS-1436 (B.Tech.)]
- Artificial Intelligence [CS-5109 (M.Tech., PhD]
- Object Oriented Programming [CS-213 (B.Tech.)]
Reviewer /Served as TPC
- Advances in Language and Vision Research ( ALVR -2020 ), (ALVR-2021) Program Committee
- Springer Nature: SN Computer Science
- Sādhanā – Springer Journal
- Multimedia Tools and Application, Springer
- 8th International Conference on Pattern Recognition and Machine Intelligence (PReMI 2019) (Reviewer)
- LoResMT 2019: 2nd Workshop on Technologies for MT of Low Resource Languages (LoResMT 2019 at MT Summit XVII) – Sub-Reviewer
- Recent Advances in Natural Language Processing (RANLP -2019) Sub-Reviewer
- CSI Transactions on ICT (Springer)
- ACM Transactions on Asian and Low-Resource Language Information Processing (ACM TALLIP)
- ICETCE 2019
- ICCIS 2019
- International Conference on Natural Language Processing (ICON) 2015, 2017, 2018, 2020
- Conference on Information and Communication Technology (CICT), 2017, 2018
- ICITAM 2017
- icSoftComp 2017, icSoftComp 2020
- AAAI 2016 (Sub-Reviewer)
- WWW 2016 (Sub-Reviewer)
- DaSAA 2016
- MICAI 2015 (Sub-Reviewer)
- TBTCIA 2013 (ICON 2013 Workshop)
- Reviewer of International Journal of Computational Linguistics and Chinese Language Processing (IJCLCLP) Journal, 2013
- Book chapter reviewer of “Emerging Applications of Natural Language Processing: Concepts and New Research”, IGI Global, 2012.
- Reviewer of 24th Florida Artificial Intelligence Research Society Conference (FLAIRS-24), Palm Beach, Florida, May 18-20, 2011.
- One-week Faculty Development Program on “Cyber Security”, NIT Silchar, 14th Oct – 19th Oct 2019.
- One-week Workshop on “Data Analytics with Machine Learning Techniques” under TEQIP – III, NIT Silchar and GUIST, Guwahati, Assam, 29th July’19 – 02nd August 2019
- TEQIP-III sponsored One Week Workshop on “ Recent Research Trends & Future Perspective of Machine Learning in Academics and Industry” NIT Silchar and GUIST, Guwahati, Assam. 01-05 October, 2018.
- TEQIP-III sponsored workshop on “ Outcome Based Education & Accreditation (WOBEA 2018) Organised by NIT Silchar and GUIST, Guwahati, Assam. 30th September 2018-01st October 2018.
- Workshop on Teaching Computer Networks, 15-16 September 2018, IIT Kanpur
- Workshop on Teaching Software Architecture, 15-16 September 2018, IIT Kanpur
- Summer Training Program on Active Learning for Faculty, 4 June 2018- 8June 2018, IIT Bombay
- FDP on Deep Learning and HPC, 17 – 22 March 2017, IIIT Senapati, Manipur
- Workshop on Cyber Security and Forensics, 03 – 08 April 2017, IIIT Senapati, Manipur
- Seminar on “Towards Standardizing Khasi for Computational purposes”, 28th – 29th October, 2014, St. Anthony’s College, Shillong
- Workshop on Ontology, NLP, IE and IR, 16 th to 18 th July, 2008, IIT Bombay
- Tutorial on “How to Add a New Language on the NLP Map: Building Resources and Tools for Languages with Scarce Resources”, 7 Jan 2008, IIIT Hyderabad.
- ISI-NERIST winter School on Soft Computing, Data Mining and Bioinformatics, February 14-18, 2005, NERIST, Itanagar
- Workshop on trends and issues in Wireless Networks and Mobile Computing, 26-28 August 2004, Tezpur University
- Seminar on “Intellectual Property Rights”, 2004, St. Anthony’s College, Shillong
- UGC sponsored refresher course in the subject “Natural Language Processing: from Fundamentals to Research Roadmaps”, 25 Nov -16 Dec, 2003, Jadavpur University, Kolkata
- Autumn School on Information Technology: Emerging Research Issues, 22-26 September, 2003, NERIST, Itanagar
- Workshop on Vision, Autonomy, Accreditation, 10-12 February 2000, St. Anthony’s College, Shillong
- Seminar on “Personal growth, self awareness and Vision 2020”, 8-9 February 1999, St. Anthony’s College, Shillong
- Member of AFNLP
- Member of ACL