Dr. Anupam Biswas
Designation: Assistant Professor
Department: Computer Science and Engineering
Email: anupam[at]cse.nits.ac.in | abanumail[at]gmail.com
Date of Joining: 05/07/2018
Personal Web Page: https://sites.google.com/site/sbanupambs/home
Institute Web Page: http://cs.nits.ac.in/anupam
- Ph.D., Indian Institute of Technology (BHU) Varanasi
- M. Tech., Motilal Nehru National Institute of Technology Allahabad
- B. E., Jorhat Engineering College
- Assistant Professor, National Institute of Technology Silchar (July 2018 – Now)
- Assistant Professor, National Institute of Technology Rourkela (May 2018 – July 2018)
- Assistant Professor, National Institute of Technology Patna (March 2017 – February 2018)
AREA OF INTEREST AND SPECIALISATION
- Machine Learning – Graph Clustering, Classification, Linear Regression
- Social Network Analysis – Community Detection, Link Prediction, Recommender System
- Nature-inspired optimization-GA, PSO, ACO; DE
- Soft Computing – Applications of Fuzzy System
- Computational Music – Algorithmic composition, Music Retrieval, Raag Analytics
- Cyber-physical Computation- Plant Computer Interaction, Brain Computer Interaction, Brain-to-Brain Interaction
SUBJECTS TAUGHT (INCLUDING SUBJECTS CURRENTLY TEACHING)
- Introduction to Programming (CS-1101), BTech (1st Sem, July-Dec 2018) and (2nd Sem, Jan-June 2019)
- Computer Networking (CS-1302), BTech (5th Sem, July-Dec 2018)
- Social Network Analysis (CS-1457), BTech (8th Sem), MTech and PhD (Jan-June 2019)
STUDENTS WORKED WITH ME (ASSISTED or GUIDED)
- PHD STUDENTS
- Rahul Chandra Kushwaha, PhD Research Domain: E-Textbook Enrichment, (BHU, DST-CIMS, Currently Assisting) [ Research Papers: 01 International Conference with me]
- M-TECH STUDENTS
- Sakshi Kahandelwal, MTech Thesis Title: Community Detection in Networks using Atom Stabilization Algorithm and Studies, (IIT-BHU Varanasi, 2016, Assisted) [Research Papers: 01 International Conference]
- B-TECH STUDENTS
- Sutanay Bhattacharjee, Rahul Kumar Rai, Tirtha Chetry and Surajit Dey, BTech Thesis Title: Generation of Complete Conjugate Phrases in Indian Classical Music, BTech (CSE), 7th Semester (NIT Silchar, 2018, Completed, Co-supervisor)
- Govind Agarwal and Santosh Kumar Chourasia, BTech Thesis Title: Community Detection using Physics-inspired Optimization Algorithms, (IIT-BHU Varanasi, 2016, Assisted) [Research Papers: 01 International Conference]
- Ashwini K SIngh, Armaan K. Marwaha and Dheeraj Yadav, BTech Thesis Title: Graph Sparsification, (IIT-BHU Varanasi, 2015, Assisted)
- Gourav Arora, Gaurav Tiwari, Srijan Khare and Vyankatesh Agrawal, BTech Thesis Title: Community Detection using Agglomerative Algorithms, (IIT-BHU Varanasi, 2015, Assisted) [Research Papers: 01 Book Chapter in Springer]
- Shubham Varma and Neyshith Sameer, BTech Thesis Title: Graph Sparsification, (IIT-BHU Varanasi, 2015, Assisted)
- Pawn Gupta and Mradul Modi, BTech Thesis Title: An Empirical Study of Some Particle Swarm Optimizer Variants for Community Detection, (IIT-BHU Varanasi, 2014, Assisted) [Research Papers: 02 International Conference, including one Best Paper Award]
- BTech Students Engaged in Research Project
- Apoorv Singh and Utkarsh Singh, BTech 5th Sem, (currently working on Melody Extraction from Music for the research project on Indian Classical Music)
- Sayandeep Roy, BTech 1st Sem (ECE), (currently involved in Raag Analysis for the research project on Indian Classical Music)
Note for NIT Silchar Students: I am looking for BTech any semester, MTech any semester, and Ph.D. students of NIT Silchar to do research work on Social Network Analysis, Deep Learning, Computational Music and Cyber-physical Computation with me.
Note for Outside Students: I am looking for Summer Interns, JRFs and PhD Students.
- Anupam Biswas and Bhaskar Biswas, “FuzAg: Fuzzy Agglomerative Community Detection by Exploring the Notion of Self-membership”, in IEEE Transactions on Fuzzy Systems (TFS), IEEE, vol. 26, no. 5, pp. 2568-2577, Oct. 2018, ISSN: 1063-6706. (SCI, IF 8.415)
- Anupam Biswas and Bhaskar Biswas, “Analyzing Evolutionary Optimization and Community Detection Algorithms using Regression Line Dominance”, in Information Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 396, pp. 185-201, 2017, ISSN: 0020-0255. (SCI, IF 4.305)
- Anupam Biswas and Bhaskar Biswas, “Defining Quality Metrics for Graph Clustering Evaluation”, in Expert Systems with Applications (ESWA), Elsevier, vol. 71, pp.1-17, 2017, ISSN: 0957-4174. (SCI, IF 3.928)
- Anupam Biswas and Bhaskar Biswas, “Regression Line Shifting Mechanism for Analyzing Evolutionary Optimization Algorithms”, in Soft Computing (SOCO), Springer, vol. 21, no. 21, pp. 6237-6252, 2017, ISSN: 1432-7643. (SCI, IF 2.472)
- Anupam Biswas and Bhaskar Biswas, “Investigating Community Structure in Perspective of Ego Network”, in Expert Systems with Applications (ESWA), Elsevier, vol. 42, no. 20, pp. 6913-6934, 2015, ISSN: 0957-4174. (SCI, IF 3.928)
- Anupam Biswas and Bhaskar Biswas, “Community-based Link Prediction”, in Multimedia Tools and Applications, Springer, vol. 76, no. 18, pp. 18619–18639, 2017, ISSN: 1380-7501. (SCI, IF 1.530)
- Anupam Biswas, “Atom Stabilization Algorithm and its Real Life Applications” in Journal of Intelligence and Fuzzy Systems (JIFS), IOS Press, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 2189-2201, 2016, ISSN: 1064-1246. (SCI, IF 1.261)
- Anupam Biswas, B. Biswas, A. Kumar and K. K. Mishra, “Particle Swarm Optimization with Time Varying Cognitive Avoidance Component”, in International Journal of Computational Science and Engineering, Special Issue on Swarm and Artificial Intelligence, InderScience, vol. 16, no. 1, pp. 27-41, 2018, ISSN: 1742-7185. (ESCI, Scopus)
- Anupam Biswas, K. K. Mishra, Shailesh Tiwari and A. K. Misra, “Physics-inspired Optimization Algorithms: A Survey” in Journal of Optimization, vol. 2013, Article ID 438152, 16 pages, 2013. (ESCI)
- Rahul C. Kushwaha, Achintya Singhal and Anupam Biswas, “E-Textbook Enrichment using Graph Based E-Content Recommendation”, 1st International Conference on Intelligent Computing (ICIC 2018), Oct. 25 – 27, 2018, Bengaluru.
- Anupam Biswas, Shakshi Khandelwal and Bhaskar Biswas, “Community Detection in Networks using Atom Stabilization Algorithm” in 2017 IEEE 4th Intl. Conference on Soft Computing & Machine Intelligence (ISCMI 2017), Nov. 23-24, 2017, Mauritius.
- Anupam Biswas and Bhaskar Biswas, “A Framework for Analyzing Community Detection Algorithms”, in 2016 IEEE Students’ Technology Symposium (TechSym 2016), 30 Sep.-2 Oct. 2016, pp. 61-66, Kharagpur, India.
- Anupam Biswas, Bhaskar Biswas and K. K. Mishra, “An Atomic Model Based Optimization Algorithm”, in 2nd International Conference on Computational Intelligence & Networks (CINE 2016), 11 Jan. 2016, pp. 63-68, Bhubaneswar.
- Anupam Biswas and Bhaskar Biswas, “Visual Analysis of Evolutionary Optimization Algorithms”, in II International Symposium on Computational and Business Intelligence, ISCBI 2014, 7-8 Dec. 2014, pp. 81-84, New Delhi.
- Anupam Biswas, Pawan Gupta, Mradul Modi and Bhaskar Biswas, “An Empirical Study of Some Particle Swarm Optimizer Variants for Community Detection”, in Third International Symposium on Intelligent Informatics (ISI’14), 24-27 September 2014, pp 511-520, Delhi, India.
- Anupam Biswas, Pawan Gupta, Mradul Modi and Bhaskar Biswas, “Community Detection in Multiple Featured Social Network using Swarm Intelligence”, in International Conference on Communication and Computing (ICC-2014), 12-14 June 2014, Bangalore, India. (Best Paper Award)
- Anupam Biswas, Anoj Kumar and K. K. Mishra, “Particle Swarm Optimization with Cognitive Avoidance Component”, in 2nd International Conference on Advances in Computing, Communications and Informatics (ICACCI-2013), 22-25 Aug. 2013, pp. 149-154, Mysore, India.
- Anupam Biswas, A. V. Lakra, Sharad Kumar and Avjeet Singh, “An Improved Random Inertia Weighted Particle Swarm Optimization” , in 2013 International Symposium on Computational and Business Intelligence (ISCBI 2013), 24-26 Aug. 2013, pp. 96-99, New Delhi.
- Anupam Biswas, “An Approach to Adaptive Locality Based Maintenance of Correlated Data”, in 3rd International Conference on Computer and Communication Technology, pp.38-45, 23-25 Nov. 2012, Allahabad.
- Anupam Biswas and Bhaskar Biswas, “Swarm Intelligence Techniques and Their Adaptive Nature with Applications” , in “Complex system modeling and control through intelligent soft computations” vol 219, ch. 9, pp. 253-271, 2014, by: Studies in Fuzziness and Soft Computing, Springer-Verlag, Germany.
- Anupam Biswas, Gourav Arora, Gaurav Tiwari, Srijan Khare, Vyankatesh Agrawal and Bhaskar Biswas, “Agglomerative Approaches for Partitioning of Networks in Big Data Scenarios” in “Data Science and Big Data Computing: Frameworks and Methodologies”, ch. 3, pp. 57-78, 2016, Springer-Verlag, Germany.
- Abhishek Garg, Anupam Biswas and Bhaskar Biswas, “Evolutionary Computation Techniques for Community Detection in Social Network Analysis”, in “Advanced Methods for Complex Network Analysis”, ch. 11, pp. 271-289, 2016, IGI Global, USA.
- IEEE Transactions on Fuzzy Systems (TFS)
- IEEE Transactions on Evolutionary Computation (IEEE-TEVC)
- IEEE Systems Journal (IEEE-SJ)
- IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man and Cybernatics: System (IEEE TSMC)
- Applied Soft Computing (ASOC)
- ACM Transactions on Knowledge Discovery from Data (TKDD)
- ACM Transactions on Intelligent Systems and Technology (TIST)
- Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications
- Information Sciences